Recent Reads: January


At the start of the year, I made a promise to myself to read more books. The plan was to try and read one book every month. Therefore by the end of 2018, I will have read 12 books which I probably would have just watched the movie for in any other situation.


The first book I read was Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon.  I really wanted to see this movie when it came out in the cinema however, there were two reasons why I didn't; 1. I never had the time to watch it and 2. I wanted to read the book first. I absolutely loved this book and I am so glad that the first book I picked up this year was a good one, to help encourage me to read more.

This book follows 17-year-old Madeline who is allergic to the world and has never really yearned for the chance to explore the great outdoors. That was until the new neighbour moved in, Olly. Who is determined to meet her. Everything, Everything looks at the crazy risks we sometimes take for love.
I really enjoyed the length of the chapters, that they were easy to read and not too difficult to understand. The author's writing style is perfect for me and I am really looking forward to reading her next book. 'The sun is also a star'


The second book of January I read was Wonder by R.J. Palacio. Now confession time- I thought it was a man who had written this book until I read the last page, the acknowledgements made me realise that this was, in fact, a woman.
This book similar to the first one was one I wanted to read before I watched the film.  The story follows August Pullman, a young boy who has a facial deformity.  I would say this book should be essential reading for children, and it is so understandable as to why many teachers use this book in English lessons. It teaches so many life lessons about inclusivity and acceptance.

I definitely can see this book becoming one of the classics. And I absolutely LOVED it!

See you on Friday!
Lots of Love
Kirsten x

Comments

Popular Posts