Hannah: Women In The Bible Week 7

.
.
.
"There was a certain man of Ramathaim-zophim of the hill country of Ephraim whose name was Elkanah the son of Jeroham, son of Elihu, son of Tohu, son of Zuph, and Ephrathite. He has two wives. The name of one was Hannah and the name of the other, Peninnah. And Peninnah had children but Hannah had no children."

"On the day when Elkanah sacrificed, he would give portions to Peninnah his wife and to all her sons and daughters. But to Hannah he gave a double portion because he loved her, though the Lord had closed her womb. And it went on year by year. As often as she went up to the house of the Lord, she used to provoke her. Therefore Hannah wept and wouldn't eat. Her husband said to her "why do you weep? And why do you not eat? And why is your heart sad? Am I not more to your than ten sons?"

"As she continued praying before the Lord, Eli observed her mouth. Hannah was speaking in heart; only her lips moved, and her voice was not heard, Eli took her to be a drunk woman... Hannah answered "No my Lord, I am a woman troubled in spirit. I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I have been pouring out my soul before the Lord. Do not regard your servant as a worthless woman, for all along I have been speaking out of my great anxiety and vexation" Then she went away and ate for her face was no longer sad."

"And in due time Hannah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Samuel, for she said "I have asked for him from the Lord."

"For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him. Therefore I have lent him to the Lord. As long as he lives, he is lent to the Lord." And he worshipped the Lord there."

(Segments from 1 Samuel 1v1-2v2)

.
.
.
Hannah prayed. Hannah Worshipped. Hannah Prayed Again. God Came. God Saw. God Answered. Hannah's prayers and worship were heart felt, genuine and open, she prayed as if her life depended on it, she says "I have prayed from the depth of my anguish and resentment." I don't think you could have gotten any more heart felt worship from her. The good, the bad, the painful and the ugly she brought everything to God, in her worship. 
For Hannah praying and seeking God was her first resort, not her last, she trusts God and believes in his power whole heartedly. 

She dedicated her life to God, and dedicated her sons life to God also, as a thank-you for God's faithfulness she took Samuel up to the Lord's house and gave him to the Lord, for as long as he lives. Even after waiting so so long for this gift of a child, rather than keeping him as close as possible, for fear of never having the experience again, she took him and left him in the house of God for the remainder of his life. That must have took some heart, she thanked the Lord and fixed her eyes on him. God later blessed her with three sons and two daughters as said in 1 Samuel 2v18-21. Her faith in God probably meant she believed that would happen, because she gave everything to God, God would give her, what her heart desired and what she continually prayed for time and time again. There was power in her prayer, just as there is power in your prayer. 

Comments

Popular Posts